Last Tuesday, I had my very first OB appointment. I had just graduated from the fertility doctor and I was thrilled to be "normal" and no longer "high risk". At the OB, I found out my doctor was considering me "high risk" and sending me to a specialist for more monitoring. I was shocked and confused at first on why I needed to go to a high risk doctor. The only difference about my pregnancy is my blood clotting disorder and I am on drugs for that. Honestly, I thought my OB was being a little dramatic. BOY WAS I WRONG!
On Thursday, we had our bags packed and car loaded. We had been anticipating this weekend for weeks! We had waited so long to tell friends and family about our precious surprise. I was counting down the days to share our exciting news. We had one stop to make on the way out of town.... my appointment with the high risk OB. Before the appointment, I remembering saying to Jeremy, "we are going to get good news and then leave town for the best weekend ever."
Plans change sometimes....
First, the ultrasound tech started my scan. I had no idea you could do such a detailed ultrasound at only 12 weeks. I remembering watching her (US tech) in amazement. Wow... she is really good!
Scan went as followed...
two renal arteries check!
3 vessel cord check! woo hoo
bladder check!
stomach check!
nasal bone check!
two arms, two legs, fingers, toes check, check, check, CHECK!
cord insert check!
MORE and MORE good news!
this is amazing!!!!! go baby go!
I noticed she kept looking at what looked like a hematoma to me. She kept asking did you have this before?? I had a really small one in the beginning?!?
Then she started looking really closely at the baby's neck and head.... this is when I started to get frustrated because I knew she was seeing something but I didn't know enough OB to figure it out. I kept thinking, "man, I really wished I took my OB registry and I really wished I worked in an OB office and not a transplant hospital!!!" This would really help me figure all this out.... what is she trying to see???? I do know enough about OB ultrasound to really get myself in trouble!
Then we do a transvaginal ultrasound to get a better look at everything... that's when I saw it..... a huge black blob with what looked like blood swirling around. I couldn't talk, I couldn't move.... it was almost like an out of body experience.... could this really be happening?!? Then she went back to examining our baby's head and neck. What is concerning her so much? That's when she said she was going to get our doctor to take a look. By now, I had a death grip on Jeremy's hand. He kept asking me what was going on. All I could say was, "I don't know but something is wrong."
Our high risk doctor came in and told us he talked with our fertility doctor and OB and everyone agreed I should stop my blood thinners today. We did another transvaginal ultrasound with him observing while the tech scanned again. At this point, I felt completely numb and seconds seemed like hours. I know from experience it's never a good sign when the doctor needs to look at something live in the ultrasound room. He then told us, "you have a very large subchorionic hemorrhage and your baby has some swelling behind the neck, but we will talk about all this once we get in a consult room." More waiting.... that's when I called my dad. Dad called our high risk doctor and everyone was given the results and stats...
Our baby has some mild swelling behind the head. This could mean there is a chromosomal problem, however, our doctor says it's very mild and more than likely just a normal variant. The MAIN concern is the bleeding. I have a subchorionic hemorrhage that was actively bleeding during the scan. The hematoma is so large that it has caused a 10- 15% placenta abruption (this is where the placenta starts to tear away from the uterine wall). The doctor is optimistic but really it's a wait and see at the moment. The worst case scenario is the bleeding does not stop and the placenta tears more putting our precious baby at risk. Our biggest prayer request: NO MORE TEARING OF THE PLACENTA! I have been put on bed rest for the next week to hopefully help stop the bleeding.
I want everyone to know my baby is a little fighter. I am the proudest mommy in the world right now. We are doing good. Today has been a good day. We watched church live thanks to modern technology. We have started the Mad Men series... Karen Jane is really excited about this one. We are BLOWN away by the support from friends, family, and even people we do not know. Every meal, hug, prayer, card and email has meant the world to us. We cannot say thank you enough. I am pretty emotional these days and I always cry when I think about the love and support people have shown us in the last few days. My precious baby is on more prayer lists than I even knew existed. God granted us this gift and I cherish every single day with my baby! Our prayer and hope is in 28 weeks I will be holding my little fighter for the first time and saying, "mommy loves you MORE THAN YOU WILL EVER KNOW." Just like my heavenly father loves us more than we will ever understand. I put my faith in you father... help and guide us in the days ahead. We will ONLY look to You!
Tomorrow, I have an appointment with my fertility doctor. He is such an amazing doctor that he wants to look at things himself even though technically I am not his patient anymore. Now that's true patient care! THANK YOU LOVED ONES, we cherish you too!


No comments:
Post a Comment